Strategic Communications Advisor
You will be responsible for contributing to Watershed’s story. Working with our communications team, you will identify strategic opportunities for Watershed to provide thought leadership, and guide how we share our vision for collaboration to key audiences. Each day, you might work on drafting social media posts, opinion pieces, or supporting one of our thought leaders prepare for a public speaking engagement. In addition, you will be supporting the creation of key corporate products that help our partners consider how to best tackle tough problems. You will be working closely with a team while remaining responsible to ensure deliverables are implemented on time and in a manner that exceeds expectations.
- At minimum 2 years of experience in a Communications role
- Bachelor’s degree or college certificate in social media, public relations, journalism or communications, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability in creating communications products that influence thought leadership or communicate complicated ideas
- Experience working for a think tank, publication or journal, philanthropic organization, non-profit organization, or political office would be an asset
- Experience organizing and running a campaign would be an asset
- Experience with media relations would be an asset
- You are known to be extremely results-focused while maintaining good collaborative working relationships with the people you work with
- You are also known for partnering with clients in a way that holds their desired outcomes sacred while balancing project control and accountability for delivery
What you Offer:
Our ideal candidate will offer two or more of the following:
Social & Digital Media Platform Strategies: You create engaging and innovative digital content and communication strategies that are aligned with organizational objectives, and are able to select and implement the right approach at the right time. You are experienced in maintaining and successfully growing an active social media presence across multiple platforms.
Strategic Planning & Communications Advisory: You advise leadership and team members on recommended courses of action and on the development and implementation of communications strategies to drive forward the organization’s priorities. You recommend immediate, short and medium-term strategies, communication, actions and programs.
Exceptional Written Communication Skills: You produce a wide range of content and manage the development, design, composition, production and publication of communications products. This includes reviewing, editing and writing copy for advertisements, brochures, and various marketing products and web-based materials. Your experience in ghostwriting is an asset.
Media Relations: You have established or are willing to develop relationships with key media contacts and are able to respond to written or oral requests for information from the public/media in response to articles or public statements within specified time frames. You evaluate the effectiveness of media programs and communicate results back to the organization.
Resilience: You will work in a very dynamic environment. The people we work with are facing the most challenging problems that the world offers. It’s emotional work and will require you to be extremely self-aware and self-regulating. Success in this environment will come with the ability to cope effectively with the stress and challenges present when working with other people who may be learning to cope with what’s in front of them.
Canada – Open to remote options