Strategic Communications Officer (Watershed USA)
The Watershed Way:
In today’s world, organizations, communities, and even societies struggle to identify shared opportunities and successfully negotiate sustained outcomes. Often the challenges appear too complex and insurmountably frustrating. It isn’t all that hard to figure out why these challenges remain unsolved as communities and organizations default toward slow, expensive, and adversarial approaches resulting in a diminished probability of reaching a good outcome.
Watershed exists to create space for a wide variety of participants to come together to create shared learning, form new individual and collective identities and develop new and innovative solutions. We offer experiences that profoundly change our clients’ way of understanding the systems they live and work in and the perspectives held in existing mental models and world views. Together, we shape outcomes that can have long-lasting and transformative impacts on individual people, their organizations and communities, and quite possibly the world.
Your work with Watershed will put you at the center of the world’s most intractable problems. You will find yourself in rooms with communities that have been in conflict for centuries, with organizations that have never previously seen themselves as systems thinkers or collaborators, and with societies who are coming together to seek solutions to the world’s toughest economic, social and political challenges.
You will be responsible for developing Watershed’s story in new markets as it expands its operations in the United States and within international contexts. You will identify strategic opportunities to share our vision and work with key audiences. Each day, you might work on drafting social media posts, opinion pieces, or supporting one of our thought leaders to prepare for a public speaking engagement. In addition, you will be supporting the creation of key corporate products that help our partners consider how to best tackle tough problems. You will be working closely with a team while remaining responsible to ensure deliverables are implemented on time and in a manner that exceeds expectations.
- Minimum 5 years and preferred 7-10 years of experience in a Communications role
- Bachelor’s degree or college certificate in social media, public relations, journalism or communications, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated success in creating communications strategies and products that target and influence key audiences in the United States and around the world
- Experience project-managing communications deliverables and handling multiple projects at once with ease
- Ability to translate complex concepts into language that is understandable by wide ranging domestic and international audiences
- Experience working for a think tank, publication or journal, philanthropic organization, non-profit organization, or political office would be an asset
- Proven track record of writing compelling content and contributing to creating or editing messaging for a company or organization
- Experience organizing and running a campaign would be an asset
- Experience with media relations would be an asset
- You are known to be extremely results-focused while maintaining good collaborative working relationships with the people you work with
- You are also known for partnering with clients in a way that holds their desired outcomes sacred while balancing project control and accountability for delivery
What You Offer:
Our ideal candidate will be able to offer the following:
Social & Digital Media Platform Strategies: You create engaging and innovative digital content and communication strategies that are aligned with organizational objectives, and are able to select and implement the right approach at the right time. You are experienced in maintaining and successfully growing an active social media presence across multiple platforms.
Strategic Planning & Communications Advisory: You advise leadership and team members on recommended courses of action and on the development and implementation of communications strategies to drive forward the organization’s priorities. You recommend immediate, short and medium-term strategies, communication, actions and programs.
Exceptional Written Communication Skills: You produce a wide range of content and manage the development, design, composition, production and publication of communications products. This includes reviewing, editing and writing copy for advertisements, brochures, and various marketing products and web-based materials. Your experience in ghostwriting is an asset.
Media Relations: You have established relationships with key media contacts and are able to respond to written or oral requests for information from the public/media in response to articles or public statements within specified time frames. You evaluate the effectiveness of media programs and communicate results back to the organization.
Resilience: You will work in a very dynamic environment. The people we work with are facing the most challenging problems that the world offers. It’s emotional work and will require you to be extremely self-aware, self-regulating, comfortable with ambiguity and shifting priorities (especially during the US startup/standup phase). Success in this environment will come with the ability to cope effectively with the stress and challenges present when working with other people who may be learning to cope with what’s in front of them.
What You Can Expect From Us:
- The opportunity to focus your work on transforming systems to enable biosphere integrity and co-create new models for working, thinking, living and being.
- The chance to be an early joiner in a young company that’s rapidly growing into a unique position where we can enable real change in the world.
- A work environment where you can be your whole and honest self. We don’t hide behind corporate facades.
- Opportunities for continual growth and development and financial support for learning and development for people who demonstrate a long-term commitment to the organization.
Location & Other Details:
United States — Open to remote options
Watershed is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Interested in exploring this further? Email us at [email protected] with the subject line “Strategic Communications Officer”. Please send us a resume, as well as a writing sample of up to 500 words, and we’ll get in touch.